Animals animations week

This week at the beginning of new years we started our animation class focusing on animals and how they move.

Since I have had some problems so far in understanding follow through of a flag (and I definitely have a long way to go yet) I decided to analyze squid’s fins movement.

Besides from few rare species who are capable of propelling themselves out of water, flying for up to 200 ft, most of squids move inside water in two ways

• using their paired fins along with rythmic mantle contraction to cruise at slow speed
  • by jet propulsion, contracting and expanding circular muscles in their boneless mantle to take up and expel water; probably using the fins just to give direction

move mechanics

Squids give me a weird feeling when I watch their swim (even though just on a screen). Their fins movement is similar to ray’s but unlike them the rest of their body remains very still. It is really almost like a waving flag attached to a pole.

3squids

Adding to this, squids’ big eyes and a bunch of tentacles they are capable to shape in different weird ways, it makes of this creature, to my eyes, an extraterrestrial like one, living in an environment but not merging completely with it and its inhabitants. Being for these reasons a quite fascinating creature.

…

Here are some other animation for the animal motion week